Installing Gnucash on Mac OS X - solution!

A.Lee alan at darkroom.plus.com
Wed Mar 26 19:11:31 CST 2003

I spent about a week trying to get Gnucash installed on OS X, but
kept coming across various errors.I had downloaded the tar.gz file,
and was trying to compile that without luck.
Anyway, I started afresh, using 'Fink' to compile it, and after about
300mb's of downloads, and hours of compiling, it now works.
Firstly, install the Apple Developer tools, then X11, then Fink and
Fink Commander.Fink has then to be configured to use the 'unstable'
packages(details about that are in the Fink FAQ).
Once all that is done, type 'Fink install gnucash' into Terminal, or
via Fink Commander. On a dial up connection, this will take up to 20
hours - I already had 139 Fink packages installed, yet it still
needed to get 98 more.Once everything is downloaded, Terminal/Fink
will compile the source automatically.It took over 3 hours for me.
Once compiled/installed, type 'gnucash'into the X11 terminal, and it
should run!
I've been playing around with it for half an hour now, and it works
fine,after importing my Quicken data, though the 'scheduled
transactions' seem to have gone amiss.
Overall, I think it is well worth the time to download/compile/install.
Thanks to all the developers!
Alan.