loan druid

Jim Stead jsteadj at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 22:43:13 CST 2003

On Saturday 22 March 2003 08:20 pm, Dale Alspach wrote:
> I recently refinanced my  mortgage so I thought I would use the
> loan druid (Gnucash 1.8.2 RH 7.2) to schedule the payments. I found
> it quite confusing and it seems to be giving me an incorrect set of
> splits between interest and principal.
>
> Suppose I take out a loan for $100,000 at 5% compounded monthly for
> 180 months. The loan
> begins on April 1 and the first payment is due May 1 with 15 days
> grace period. I also pay $100 in hazard insurance and $120 property
> taxes into an escrow account. Accoring to the gnucash financial
> calculator the monthly payment should be $790.79 for principal and
> interest.
>
> I would like to schedule the payments on the 5th of each month.
> I start the loan druid.
> I have already created a liability account Mortgage so I choose
> that for the Loan Account.
> In Amount I enter 100000.00 (Amount seems too cryptic and vague to
> me. Initial Principal Balance?)
> In Interest Rate I enter 5 (This is problematical: what is the
> period? What is the compounding frequency? It seems this means
> annual nominal rate and monthly compounding.)
> I choose Fixed for the Type.
> For Start Date I choose April 1, 2003. Length 180 months. Months
> remaining 180. (Why is there a choice of Months or Years for Length
> but only Months Remaining?)
>
> I move to the Options page. Here I was very confused by the labels.
> Do you utilize an escrow account for payments? I assume means  Does
> your mortgagor require deposits to an escrow
> account?
> I check the box and choose Escrow for the account.
> Do you pay "Taxes"? I assume means Does your mortgagor require
> deposits to an escrow account for taxes? Similar comments for the
> other labels.
> Though unsure I check pay "Taxes" and pay "Insurance".
>
> I go the Repayment page. Why is there a box labelled Name? I have
> no idea what this is or what purpose it serves. I leave it as Loan.
> (Is this waht goes in the Description field?)
> In Amount I see pmt( 0.05000 / 12 : 180 : 100000.00 : 0 : 0 )
> which means nothing to me although I see some familiar numbers.
> In Payment From: I enter Bank (Again the label is cryptic. Payment
> from account?)
> Principal To: (Why is this here at all? The loan account was
> already created/chosen.) I complete the rest of the form without
> much difficulty. Interest to: Deductible Interest
> Frequency: Monthly
> Start Date:05/05/2003
> Every 1 months
> On the 5th (The drop down list behaves oddly. The 5th was missing
> the first time, but appeared subsequently.)
>
> I go to Payment: "Taxes"
>
> What is Name again? Tax Payment? Does this mean paying into the
> escrow account or paying the taxes from the escrow account?
>  Why are there Payment
> From (Escrow) and Payment To  (Escrow) boxes (Labels shown but
> [...]
Boy, I just used the loan druid for several different loans, and I
don't recall it being that confusing.  I do remember that I had to
set the loan date one month earlier than what it seemed to be (I
think it was the second tab, one where you set where you start the
repayment).  My loans were all continuations, not from the first
statement.

I do agree that documentation is required.  I think everyone realizes
that.

One feature I liked is that the end result was transparent (the SX
with the formulas).  I could change around how the payment was
structured after I went through the wizard.  I had put in the
estimated monthly insurance and tax stuff, but it always changes from
what is actually paid, and I pay more than one type of tax, and some
other reasons.  Anyway, I deleted most of the stuff that I paid out
of escrow and just enter it as my statements come in.  For me it was
easier.  It was nice that I could do that without going through the
wizard again.

I just transitioned from MS Money, and GnuCash does not have the
polish that Money does, but it does not have the bloat, or the ads,
or the obfuscation that Money does.  I appreciate the transparency
and especially the double entry principal.  Many of the things I ran
reports for in Money are just staring me in the face in the accounts
view in GnuCash.

Great job GnuCash developers.

Sorry to ramble, but no one forced you to read to the end.

Jim