account organization

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 31 12:38:32 CST 2003

Andrew Pimlott <gnucash-user at andrew.pimlott.net> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:29:31AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Negative.  Opening Balances have a very concise meaning in GAP, and
> > storing them as account metadata would violate that meaning.  When you
> > "close the books" at the end of the period you wind up running the
> > opening balances in reverse....
>
> Interesting.  It seems that this may not be the most convenient
> method for personal accounting (at least, not for mine), but I
> understand the reasons for sticking to standard practices.

I'm not sure what you mean..  Say you start recording your information
as of 1 January 2003; you set an opening balance txn dated 31 Dec
2002.  By definition you are ignoring all transactions that occur
prior to 1 Jan 2003, so why are you even trying to enter transactions
before your opening date?

I guess I just don't understand what you are trying to do...  If what
you are trying to do is incrementally add historic transactions to
Gnucash, well, yea, you can't (easily) do that -- short of
re-adjusting the opening-balance txn every time you add more
history.