Thoughts on 1.8.2 [was: Reminders]

Robert Uhl ruhl at 4dv.net
Thu May 1 09:44:37 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> writes:

> > o I miss my Net Worth display.  Net Assets and Net IBM are nice, but I'd
> >   love to have them added together, so I can see with one glance.
> >   Perhaps there's an option somewhere?
>
> Try the "Balance Sheet".  Oh, you mean the "Net Assets" bar at the
> top?  Nope, there is no option to convert it all to some common
> currency.

That's a real pity.  Surely it's more important to have a total net
worth display than separate net assets, net IBM, net APPL, net XYZ
displays, only one of which can appear at a time?

> > o Report windows still open up small and need to be expanded.  I suppose
> >   I'll open a bug for it.
>
> This is what happens when you turn off notebook mode. :)

The major problem with notebook mode is that it wastes screen space by
creating a _huge_ column with the tab in it.  A vertical, rather than
horizontal, tab would make it at least semi-usable.

Also, I believe that MDI is thoroughly deprecated in GNOME 2; might want
to get rid of it anyway.

> > o In the Account Summary report, the discounted price I get on my
> >   company's stock is considered the exchange rate, not the latest stock
> >   price.  This distorts the report...
>
> Did you try changing the report options?

That's the ticket--nearest in time is what's needed, rather than
weighted average.  ISTR this coming up a few versions back: what's the
use of weighted average as a default?  It's neither a recorded price,
nor is it the current price.  As an option, certainly it could be useful
to play with for forecasting or history or something, but for
point-in-time (what I expect most reports are), it seems broken to me.

> > o I miss the black horizontal separator lines in the register; the lack
> >   makes it harder to read.
>
> Huh?  What black separator lines?

The previous version had black lines separating the transactions one
from another in the register.  The new one uses black lines only for the
current one, which I initially found _quite_ off-putting.  I don't like
it yet, but at least I've grown accustomed to the change.

[This was sent the 25th, but of course gnucash-user was down then; I'm
resending today, 1 May]

--
Robert Uhl <ruhl at 4dv.net>
Christus surrexit ex mortuis, mortem morte calcans,