usage questions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat May 3 19:07:07 CDT 2003

The Surprises <thesurprises1 at attbi.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I just started using gnucash and have a couple questions I haven't found
> answers to yet.  When I import transactions from my checking account,
> some of the accounts are always slightly different each month, like:

Which importer are you using?  QIF or OFX?

>     PGE 000010101012
>     PGE 001012002002
>
> Gnucash doesn't recognize these as equivalent, so I have to manually
> specify the expense account.  Is there any way to provide an advanced
> option for searching, so that you can use regular expressions to match
> various accounts?

The 1.8.3 release (due out this weekend) has a bayesian matcher in
the OFX importer; it's not in the QIF importer.  If you're using QIF,
well, there isn't much you can do other that manually massage the file
ahead of time.  Sorry.

> >From my checking account import, I receive salary, mortgage and school
> loans.  What I do now is manually enter the split transaction
> information for each of these after I've imported them.  For example,
> opening up the latest paycheck import, then splitting it, and manually
> entering in the tax info, etc.  Is there a more automated way of doing
> this?

You can set up a Scheduled Transaction and make sure it executes
before the import; but if the import isn't also a split then it might
not actually match it as a duplicate.  So, no, I'm not sure what to
tell you.