How to cat a bill reminder file to your desktop on login

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Mon May 5 12:37:47 CDT 2003

The following I am passing on courtesy of Gerry Nix from the RedHat
install list. It is a script you put in your .bash_profile file. It
works just fine for me without having to save my desktop with a gnome
terminal open on it. My system is RedHat 8 and I use gnome and init 5.
Simply create a reminder file of all your bills and it will be displayed
every time you log in. No more missed bills if, like me, you only use
gnucash on  a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis.

if [ -n "$GDMSESSION" ]
  then
    xterm -T "showfile" -e less -P "Press q to quit:" ~/reminder.txt &
  else
    cat ~/reminder.txt
fi

The line beginning 'xterm' and ending in '&' must be ONE line.
--

Kind regards,

Graeme.

"Your arguments are very well and are theoretically sound, but if ever
payment of members comes into force, it will result in Parliament being
flooded with men of mediocre ability and may eventually open the doors
to a regime of terrorism and corruption."

Sir Henry Parkes in reply to Jacob Garrard, member for Balmain, on the
subject of payment to members of Parliament. 1880.