Year End Dates

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat May 17 14:49:40 CDT 2003

James Leone <linuxcpa at netscape.net> writes:

> >If you need to end a period, you can File -> Export your account tree
> >into a new file and then start a new data file (with new opening
> >balances).  But this is a long, tedious, manual process to
> >re-initialize all your asset and liability accounts at the end of
> >every period.
> >
> I was kinda hoping to find out what piece of source code, or whatever,
> could be changed from December to June, etc.

Oh, so you want the "End of Year" setting to imply June 30 and
"Begining of Year" to be "July 1"?  Or the "Year to date" to imply
"July 1 through today"?  Unfortunately there is no way to do that,
currently.  The "year" is currently tied to calendar year.  But I can
certainly see the value in being able to set the year, so feel free to
file a report at bugzilla.gnome.org.

> >Question: in what way is Net Income not properly reflected on tha
> >Balance Sheet?
> >
> This is only as a result of the year end date, and when compared to
> net income as reported on the income statement.

Sorry, which report is the "income statement"?  I don't see a report
of that name in the Reports menu or any sub-menu.

> If I were to run an income statement from July 1 - June 30, net income
> from that report would not equal net income on the balance sheet. Net
> equity would be correct, but net income does not adjust itself to
> reflect July 1 - June 30.

Well, the balance sheet doesn't have a start-date setting.  I presume
that it's starting with the current calendar year, but I don't know.
So, that could be part of the problem here.  Please file a report to
get a from-date set...

As I said, I don't know what report has the "income statement" to
which you are referring, so I have no way to reproduce what you're
talking about or figure out how to potentially fix it.  Could you
be more explicit with the actual GnuCash reports you are using?

Thanks,