Check printing

Terry Boldt tboldt at attglobal.net
Mon May 26 17:56:17 CDT 2003

I am running gnucash 1.8.2

I have 3 questions on printing checks from gnucash.

Currently I output a "transaction report", use a custom program to scan/parse
the html report for all checks with "todays" date and print those checks. I
use the VersaCheck 3001 form checks. I use Versacheck (obtained with TurboTax
a few years back to print blank checks). I then use my custom program to fill
in the checks when I need a physical check.

For this form there are 3 checks/page with the bottom of the page filled with
a transaction log. The checks are numbered sequentially from the top.
VersaChek also has a form with a single check/page, but with form 3001, I get
3 times as many checks for the same price.

I have examined check forms from other venders. It appears from the
perforations that for multiple checks/page, they also follow the practice of
printing checks from the top down.

I attempted to use gnucash for printing checks, however, this would "appear"
to be impossible. the gnucash format for a "custom" check measures all fields
from the left and bottom edges of the page. The measurements for all three
checks on the VersaCheck form is different from the bottom of the page (but
the same from the left edge). If I enter the measurements for the top check
and then write that check and tear it from the sheet, I then have 2 checks
left, but not a full letter size sheet. If I desire to write another check, I
must re-enter all of the measurements from the bottom edge of the page. I
must then repeat this for the third check.

Using the option for selecting the top, middle or bottom check is not useful
since not all checks are not written at the same time/date. Thus, all checks
are really measured from the top down.

Normally (at least for all s/w I have used), page mesaurements are from the
left edge and top edge for this reason. All printers I have used, print from
the top edge down, not from the bottom up. All s/w I have used follows the
h/w practice.

Is there a reason for gnucash reversing this practice? Other than the practice
of geometers of laying out a 2D grid with x increasing to the right and y
increasing up? The geometer practice might seem more natural for qeometry
applications, but for laying out sheets for a printer, it is more natural to
reverse the vertical axis. A quick check with GIMP, reveals that GIMP also
measures from left to right and top to bottom. Both for display of the cursor
and in printing for measuring the image size and position.

By simply changing the gnucash layout of measuring from bottom to top to
measuring from top to bottom, it would be possible to use multiple check/page
forms and the field measurements would remain constant.

My second question: On the "Custom Format" tab for printing a check, under the
"Check Position" field, there is another field: "Date Format".

What is this field used for?? And what does it mean to specify a position for
a 'format'??

I assume that the position of the printed date is specified by the "date"
field higher up, which testing seems to confirm.

Question 3: What is the field "Check Position" used for. I assumed that this
field would be added to the fields above. In testing, this field seems to be
totally ignored.