401(k) Accounts

Bobby Goins goins at iglou.com
Fri Oct 3 10:25:18 CDT 2003

All,

How does one deal with 401(k) investment accounts in gnucash?  I have
not found anything in the docs that address this issue.

With 401(k) accounts, you do not know the price of the stocks / mutual
funds purchased, only the number of purchased shares of each and the
cash withdrawal amount to cover the purchases.

Statements from a 401(k) manager usually are prepared quarterly, so
finding a historical price for each stock / mutual fund at the time of
purchase would be difficult, if not impossible.

One can just add a quantity of shares with a value at the end of the
quarter, as MS Money does it.  To me, this appears to be a questionable
practice to "make it work".

For the cash withdrawals, MS Money reflects the sell of the cash, but
sends them to "never-never land" with no payee and no category.  In the
spirit of dual-entry accounting, how would one reflect this in gnucash?

Please let me know.  This is the only issue keeping me from completely
moving to gnucash.

Thanks,

Bob