401(k) Accounts

Rick Ziegler rick at zieglernet.org
Sun Oct 5 17:30:47 CDT 2003

Bobby Goins wrote:

>Unfortunately, this is not as easy as it seems.
>
><snip>
>
>Since you do not know the prices of anything except the Money Market,
>you have 3 unknown purchase prices.  In this case:
><snip>
>
>See my dilemma?

Usually you specify what percentage of the contribution goes to each fund.
This is the way all of my 401k  accounts have been set up.
If you are not aware of the % disributions, ask you 401k manager.

After you know that, you have all the numbers you will need.

80% of $1000 to fund A = $800 / 40 new shares = $20per share
10% of $1000 to fund B = $100 / 10 new shares =  $10per share
10% of $1000 to fund C = $100 / 10 new shares =  $10per share

This is what I have to do too, because my 401k provider's web site does
not provide transaction details until the end of quarter.  Even then
they make my pay an extra dollar per quarter to get that detailed statement.

Hope this helps-
Rick