Canadian Stock Qoutes

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Sun Oct 5 20:34:59 CDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 14:11, Paul B. wrote:
> BINGO!!!
> Thanks David.
> In my ignorance I thought that "extension" of the symbol is taken by
> F::Q from "Type" filed in "Select currency/security" window. I haven't
> find anywhere information saying otherwise.

Gnucash uses the "type" field for grouping commodities internally.  This
field has common values such as NYSE and NASDAQ, but it is actually an
arbitrary text string.  The type field is used as the primary key when
ordering commodities and prices in their corresponding dialogs.  This
field has no meaning when retrieving stock quotes.

The "symbol" field is used as a secondary key when ordering commodities
and prices in their corresponding dialogs.  It is also passed unchanged
to F::Q when retrieving stock quotes.

David