general ledger should be named journal

Dale Alspach alspach at math.okstate.edu
Mon Oct 6 11:12:02 CDT 2003

I think this may be a problem related to differences in terminology and
practice in the US and elsewhere. I looked at many US sites and I found
that general ledger was consistently used for the object that holds all
transactions. Typically transactions are entered from a subledger,
adjustments, etc. are made from journal entries.

Some of the background papers for XBRL general ledger (XBRL.org)
allude to differences
between accounting practice in the US and France for example.

The gnucash terminology seems to be consistent with other software packages
such as QuickBooks Pro.

Dale Alspach