gconf error?

Göran Sandin Goran.Sandin at abc.se
Wed Oct 8 16:04:57 CDT 2003

Hi,

My problem:
/*
gtkhtml-ERROR **: gconf error: Failed to contact configuration server (a
likely cause of this is that you have an existing configuration server
(gconfd) running, but it isn't reachable from here - if you're logged in from
two machines at once, you may need to enable TCP networking for ORBit)

aborting...
Aborted
*/

I used gnucash 1.8.5 earlier and in the beginning I could use the built-in
reports in gnucash. I never got the help-system to work.

A few weeks ago gnucash started to crash when I wanted to do a report. The
only thing I can remember is that it worked as long as I still had a report
open when I started gnucash. Then I decided that it took to long time to load
the reports at start-up so I removed them all and only had the Accounts-tab
active. I think that it is after this point it always crash after I chose to
show a report.

I have know downloaded 1.8.7 and installed it. I used "./configure
--prefix=/opt/gnucash-1.8.7 --with-g-wrap-prefix=/opt/g-wrap-1.3.4".

I still get this error-message as soon as I try to do a report or using
"tutorial" or "help" in the Help-menu.

I do not see any gconfd process running. I must confess that I do not know
much about Gnome. Using KDE and SuSE 8.2.

2nd question: I have docs installed at /opt/gnu-cash-docs-1.8.3. How should I
make gnucash to know where the docs are installed?

Any advice is appreciated.

/Göran