gconf error?

Göran Sandin Goran.Sandin at abc.se
Thu Oct 9 16:30:51 CDT 2003

On Thursday 09 October 2003 14.50, you wrote:
> Goran,
>
> Not sure about your gconf question, but...
>
> > 2nd question: I have docs installed at /opt/gnu-cash-docs-1.8.3. How
> > should I make gnucash to know where the docs are installed?
>
> Install the docs to the same directory as the version of GC. In your case,
> /opt/gnucash-1.8.7, or more clearly stated, ./configure
> --prefix=/opt/gnucash-1.8.7.  This will take care of the docs problem.
>
> John R.

Thanks John,

it took 5 minutes to get the help-function working :-)

I actually managed to figure out the first part of the question myself
yesterday evening.

1st I found a tool called "gconf-sanity-check-1". By the information I got
from it, I found out that I did not have any NFS locking daemon running on
the client.

I also found that something had created a new directory called
/etc/opt/gnome/gconf/gconf.xml.mandantory/
Note that mandatory is wrong spelled. This directory had wrong permissions so
I was not allowed to read it as user, changed it to 755.

I had /etc/opt/gnome/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory/ which was probably used
earlier since it had 755 already. I think this directory was probably created
by SuSE's package.

I guess that the "mandantory" directory might have been introduced in the
source files for gnucash 1.8.7 but I do not know where to look for it...

I also had wrong permissions on /etc/opt/gnome/.gconf, I changed that also to
755.

So now everything is working again.

/Göran