Newby questions

Bill Wisse wiswp at niue.nu
Fri Oct 10 19:20:47 CDT 2003

On Friday 10 October 2003 17:30, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 01:14:59AM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> > > 2.  Where would it be appropriate to put an Income Tax refund?  It
> > > really isn't an Income.  Should it be a credit to Federal Tax?  Would
> > > this mess up the tax calculations for the year?
> >
> > Ask your accountant?
>
> Hopefully there are some accountants hanging out on these mailing lists
> that might be willing to answer the occasional question such as this.
>
> --linas

First I believe this is not an occasional question. In fact I think this sort
of questions should dominate this list .
Not the question " I cannot compile etc etc". I personally find that there are
to many questions like that.

Anyway,
IANAA but I think that every dollar you receive is income ( other income?) and
in this case it has nothing to do with Tax.
Just compare it with this : you bought a car for say 10,000 (and put that down
as an asset) then a year later the seller decides to give you 1,000 back.
Would you change the original value of the car or what would you do?

HTH ( and see my signature :-)
--
Greetings from

/bill at 169 west , 19 south.

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are
transmission errors."