How do I credit an outdated or erroneous invoice?

Alan Davidson alan at dsv.su.se
Mon Oct 13 22:16:07 CDT 2003

The short version of my question:
- Shouldn't deselecting the active button on an invoice cause customer
reports to ignore it?

The long version:
I am pretty new to bookkeeping and gnucash and may be confusing things.
What is more I am not sure if invoicing practices here (in Sweden)  are
very different from elsewhere. But...
More than occasionally I want to credit an invoice just to replace it
with a new one. This is usually because the members of our organisation
(read customers) do not pay in time, and I then create a reminder
invoice that has a new  id  and an extra reminder fee added (Perhaps
other countries add the fee to the original invoice but I have been told
to create a new one. Anyway, I would have the same problem if I ever
sent out an invoice in error and had to credit it because of that). Now,
I could just credit the A/Receivable account by adding a transaction
there to balance the outdated invoice, but that does not remove it from
my customer report; not even if I deselect the 'active' button.
Shouldn't it work like that? All the outdated invoices keep adding to my
customer's debt and it is now (gnucash 1.8.7)

Alternatively I could handle this by unposting the original invoice, but
that is not good bookkeeping here - surely not anywhere.

What I want to avoid doing is crediting the outdated invoice by
pretending to pay it. If I do that it ends up on the customer report
with a 'thank you' note. I aint gonna thank no one for making me send
them reminders:-/

Comments and or advice is welcomed!

Alan Davidson