First use; Problem with Gnucash files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 29 11:17:23 CST 2003

Fred H Olson <fholson at cohousing.org> writes:

> Can her work be recovered?

Unfortunately, no.  The Log Replay functionality was only added in
GnuCash 1.8.6, and the logs prior to that version are all unreadable.
Also, gnucash-1.6 is old, buggy, and no work is being done to fix any
problems (such as the one you noticed, lack of errors when a save
fails).  So, I'm sorry to say that the data is gone. :(

> Should I upgrade to a newer version?
> (I saw that one of the improvements relates to the directory where files
>  are stored)

I would certainly suggest you upgrade.  RPMs for RH8 are readily
available at www.gnucash.org/pub/