Australia/GST localisation [ was Re: Newbie various ]

Michael Hall ninti at ninti.com
Thu Oct 30 13:16:02 CST 2003

OK, I commit to attempting locale-specific .gnucash-xea files for a typical
Australian small business.

I have some Linux and programming skills, but as most of you have probably
worked out by now, I am no accountant. So if anyone who *is* an accountant
and understands Australia's GST system would like to collaborate, lets do it!

Mick

> The hierarchy templates are supposed to be "by locale", so making
> different files for different locales is recommended.  This probably
> does much of what you're asking for.  This is how you would set the
> Business account tree to a different set of accounts for different
> places ... you could start by creating locale-specific .gnucash-xea files
> in the accounts/*/ hierarchy in the source tree.
>
> > To what extent could GnuCash be localised just by
> > editing/substituting XML files (whether by hand, shell script,
> > druid, etc)? For example, to create something as simple as a set of
> > default business accounts more attuned to Australian
> > circumstances. This could include:
> >
> > - remove Americanisms (I'm not anti-American, we just use different names
> for
> > some things)
> > - remove lots of irrelevant categories (eg in the taxes section)
> > - add GST accounts

Ninti Systems: Linux Solutions and Support
Michael Hall
Mobile: 0429 095 392
Ph/Fax: 08 8953 1442
Email:  office at ninti dot com