Merging accounts; how ?

Rick Ziegler rick at zieglernet.org
Fri Oct 31 09:45:43 CST 2003

David J Patrick wrote:

> OK, I have tried to use gnucash for some time, and failed.
> In the past (pre debian) I suffered dependency dilemmas, but now I am
> simply limited by my knowledge of accounting practices and procedures.
> I'm learning though..
>    If I started a gnuCash file and worked with it for a while (which I
> have)
>    and I was sent a file with an improved account structure (also the
> case) how would I merge the old and new account files ?
>    gnuCash will File>Export accounts but not File>Import them !
>    is there a method within the GUI, or should I go at the .txt (xml)
> files ?
>    Painstaking cut-and-past would be torturous
> thanks,
> djp

Greetings David-
      Just rename and reparent the old accounts such that the resulting
heirarchy looks like the new structure.

Now, if both accounts have transactions, then you have stumbed upon a
FAQ - how do I move a bunch of transactions en masse from one account to
another. There is no great answer for that yet, but it is doable too.
Check the FAQ on gnucash.org.