How do I categorize reimbursements?

Chris Brown yogi1975 at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 1 23:58:55 CDT 2003

Phillip,

There are two basic ways to record these transactions. The first which
is quick and dirty; and the second which is a bit cleaner and makes it a
bit easier to remember who owes who what, espectially if you share more
than one bill.
The quick and dirty way to do this is just create a reverse transaction
when your roommate pays you.  Like this:

Rent        500            This is when you pay the rent.
    Cash            500

Cash        250            And this is when your roommate pays you back
    Rent            250

This will accurately reflect your expenses.

The second way makes it easier to share more expenses(heat, cable, etc.)
with your roommate than just the rent, by creating an account for the
money you and your roommate exchange.  Creating a "bank" account type
should work for you, with a positive balance being what your roommate
owes you, and a negative balance being what you owe your roommate.
Here are some sample transaction to show how this would work:

Rent                250                This is when you pay the rent of
$500. Your portion($250) is debited to rent expense and your roommate's
portion is debited to the roommate account.
Roommate     250
    Cash                    500

Electricity    15                    When your roommate pays a bill, you
debit the expense account, and credit the roommate account; thus
reducing what your roommate owes you or increasing what you owe.
    Roommate        15

Cash            235                    When your roommate cuts you a
check for what he/she owes it is only the balance of the Roommate
account($235), which is the $250(rent) - $15(electricity).
    Roommate        235

If this is not enough of an explanation; please let me know and I will
try to elaborate.

Cheers,
    Chris Brown