Importing QIF on Red Hat 9 w/ 1.85 fails

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 4 12:13:39 CDT 2003

Hi,

Marc Williams <marcw at onlymooo.com> writes:

> In an effort to wean my wife off of Quicken and Windows, I set up a new
> Red Hat 9 machine, patched it fully, upgraded the stock Gnucash via the
> RH9 RPM on the gnucash web site to version 1.85 and attempted to import
> the QIF file that was generated by her Quicken 2001.  The import failed
> so I ran Gnucash from the CLI and this is the output (sorry about the
> wrapping):

I cannot reproduce this on my RH9 system -- perhaps there is something
strange in your QIF file?  It looks like you've got a numeric value in
the number-of-shares setting of some transaction (348 shares?) but
it's having some problem reading it.

[snip]
> qif-parse:parse-acct-type : unhandled account type 401(k)...
> substituting Bank.Backtrace:

Hmm, what is "account type 401(k)"?  Does quicken now have a special
401(k) account type?  Does your QIF file have a "!Type:401(k)" in it?

As for your error:

[snip]
>  564: 16*  [string-remove-char "348" #\,]
> In /usr/share/gnucash/scm/qif-import/qif-utils.scm:
>   36: 17   (let ((rexpstr #)) (regexp-substitute/global #f rexpstr str
> ...))
>   47: 18   [regexp-substitute/global #f "," ...
>
> /usr/share/gnucash/scm/qif-import/qif-utils.scm:47:5: While evaluating
> arguments to regexp-substitute/global in expression
> (regexp-substitute/global #f rexpstr ...):
> /usr/share/gnucash/scm/qif-import/qif-utils.scm:47:5: Wrong number of
> arguments to #<procedure regexp-substitute/global (port regexp string .
> items)>
> []$

This is extremely strange, and I cannot reproduce this on my RH9 system.
Looking at what it's passing in:

--> guile
guile> regexp-substitute/global
#<procedure regexp-substitute/global (port regexp string . items)>
guile> (regexp-substitute/global #f "," "348" 'pre 'post)
"348"

So I've no idea why it thinks you've got the wrong number of
arguments.

> Never having used Gnucash before, I have no idea why the import fails or
> what to do next.  The install and upgrade of the Gnucash application
> itself went flawlessly.  It's just the QIF import that seems to go
> haywire.  We do have many accounts in Quicken and tend to use all of its
> features.  When performing the Quicken QIF export, we told it to export
> everything.

That would usually be correct.  I'll note that there are a number of
"issues" with the existing qif importer...  But unless you're
willing/able to either send in your QIF data or whittle the data down
to a single transaction (or a few transactions) that show the problem
and send THAT in it will be very hard to track this down.

> Any ideas or suggestions are gratefully welcome.  Thanks!

Well, for one I would find your transaction that is handling the 348
shares of something and take a look at it...  Beyond that, I don't know
what to tell you :(