Upgrading to 1.8.5

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at medemail.com.au
Sun Sep 7 17:12:33 CDT 2003

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 03:19 pm, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 05:28 am, William L Zitterich wrote:
> > Thanks for quick reply ; however the problem remains.
> >
> > Surely many others have made this combination (mdk 9.1 & gc 1.8.5) work.
> > Suggestions, please.
>
> Install from source.
> Liz

This flippant reply earned me several private mails; that doesn't worry me,
but I found it the only way to get around the dependency mess with Mandrake
9.1.
I had tried the tricks of rpm, including --force, but rpm didn't co-operate.

download  gnucash-1.8.5.tar.gz
into a temporary directory
open a terminal
change to that directory
"tar zxvf gnucash-1.8.5.tar.gz"
change to gnucash-1.8.5 directory
"./configure"
(lots happens)
"make"
(a lot, lot more happens)
"su"
put in your root password
"make install"
gnucash is now ready to go in /usr/local/bin

this is of course from memory; and might contain an error
the bits in quotes are typed at the command line without the quotes
anyone who can't change directories etc can email me privately
liz
--
The men sat sipping their tea in silence.  After a while the klutz said,
	"Life is like a bowl of sour cream."