Entering formulas in scheduled transactions

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 21:26:13 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 19:39, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Matthew Vanecek <mevanecek at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> So, by this definition your principal/interest split is not
> necessarily set in stone ahead of time.  The "amortization schedule"
> you get is what you would pay assuming you do not pay-down your
> mortgage.  The druid is showing what that P/I split would be (which
> should match your amortization schedule), but it should also allow you
> to pay down your mortgage (which would shift the P/I split towards a
> larger P and smaller I).

no, no, you're right--if I pay extra principal, the interest changes.
I've just never done it, so didn't think about it that way.  However,
the date my regular payment hits the bank doesn't affect the
principal/interest split like with my auto loan.

Unfortunately, the druid formulas don't always reflect reality, and can
even be way off sometimes.  For me, even a penny off is unacceptable--I
require exactness in my financial picture.  If there were a way to
specify a custom formula for anal retentives like myself, SX would
probably be more attractive WRT entering loans.

My loan holders think that penny matters; guess I ought to, too...
--
Matthew Vanecek