Budgeting Summary 1 - first draft

Rick Ziegler rick at zieglernet.org
Tue Sep 9 21:07:09 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 19:03, Matthew Vanecek wrote:

> Perhaps it would be possible to use Budget Sub-categories, much the same
> as you use sub-accounts.  You have a main Savings category.  Under that
> you have (prioritized a la Rick) Truck, New Home, and Boat.  The Savings
> category is tied to Assets:Savings.  On a report, accumulated deposits to
> Assets:Savings are split between Truck, New Home, and Boat based on the
> priority.  Overflow is relegated to Savings, while underflow is reported
> beginning with the lowest priority item, where equity is that the sum of
> Truck, New Home, and Boat = your total Savings goal, and you deposit that
> amount to Assets:Savings.

Matt-
	That reads like exactly what I proposed. :)

We can take it one step further by explicitly designating a category for
overflow.

( Your ) Example:

Assets:Savings ( Real account, doubles as category. Configured for
"priority distribution".  retains overflow,. not prioritized )
Assets:Savings.boat ( savings goal category. Priority 1, delta +200 )
Assets:Savings.car  ( savings goal category. Priority 2, delta +300 )
Assets:Savings.home ( savings goal category, Priority 3, delta +1000 )

Another example:

Assets:Savings ( Configured for "priority distribution", and to put all
overflow into A:S.home )
Assets:Savings.boat ( savings goal category. Priority 1, delta +200 )
Assets:Savings.car  ( savings goal category. Priority 2, delta +300 )
Assets:Savings.home ( savings goal category, Priority 3, delta +1000)

Yet Another Example:

Assets:Savings ( Configured for "% distribution". Configured to put
overflow into car )
Assets:Savings.boat ( savings goal category. 20% until delta +200 )
Assets:Savings.car  ( savings goal category. 25% until delta +300 )
Assets:Savings.home ( savings goal category, 65% until delta +1000)

Having laid this out visually, I'm not convinced the percentage
distribution category type is worth pursuing.

regards-
Rick

--
Rick Ziegler <rick at zieglernet.org>