Downgrading gnucash?

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 22:05:08 CDT 2003

Try this:
Back up your data file (of course, always!).
Open your data file in your favorite text editor
Find the line that says <gnc:book> and delete it.
Find the line taht says </gnc:book> and delete it.
Try to open it once again in your 1.6.x version of Gnucash.
Report results to the list.

I don't know when the gnc:book tag was added, but private emails on
another matter suggest that it was post-1.6.x.

HTH.

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 12:58, Jack McKinney wrote:
> Big Brother tells me that Benoit Gr?goire wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 August 2003 13:12, Jack McKinney wrote:
> > >     In order to run gnucash-1.8.4, I had to upgrade my system from Debian
> > > woody to Debian unstable.  Unfortunately, this makes my system way too
> > > unstable.
> > >     So, I have reinstalled my machine with Debian woody, which means that
> > > gnucash is back to 1.6.6.  When I try to open my gnucash file, it complains
> > > that it is corrupt, presumably because it has 1.8.4 specific entries in it.
> > >     Is there a way to convert my 1.8.4 file back to 1.6.6?
> >
> > No, the file format is identical, except for scheduled transactions and the
> > business features.  If you used any of those, you are out of luck, unless you
> > manually try to remouve them from the xml file.
>
>     I didn't use either, and what it is complaining about is type "book":
>
> $ gnucash mymoney
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
>
> ** WARNING **: Unknown type: book
>
> ** CRITICAL **: file sixtp.c: line 515 (sixtp_sax_end_handler): assertion `pdata->parsing_ok' failed.
> Error: sixtp_handle_catastrophe: parse failed at
>
> (stack-frame 0x82ce348
>              (parser 0x81ada40)
>              (tag (null))
>              (data-for-children (nil))