Can't set up stock account in gnucash

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Sat Sep 13 21:29:01 CDT 2003

Victor Roberts wrote:
> I recently installed Red hat 9.0 and am trying to learn gnucash. I can't
> figure out how to properly set up a stock account.
>
> I created a top level account called Stock. Then I used the Price Editor
> to create a Commodity "GE" which is the NYSE symbol for General
> Electric. However, when I create a child account of type stock and name
> GE under the main Stock account the entire "Get Price Quote" screen is
> gray instead of black and white. If I try to run the Pearl script as
> root all I get are error messages. I obviously have not done something
> right. Any help would be appreciated.

Vic-

RH9 doesn't have the latest version of the docs (probably because they
didn't exist at the time), but the GnuCash web site does.  The latest
version of the docs has info on setting up stock accounts.

Try this:
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/chapter8.html

Specifically:
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/invest_setup1.html