moving transactions between accounts

Kaaren Shalom & Richard Gilligan cosmodog at comcast.net
Mon Sep 15 16:16:11 CDT 2003

I have tried to tuck doug's suggestion into the proposed answer below.

-Richard
On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 02:36 PM, doug foskey wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 September 2003 06:47 am, Kaaren Shalom & Richard
> Gilligan wrote:
>> Glen,
>>
>> I have rewritten the FAQ for this question to clarify and extend.  If
>> it appears improved to your "new user eyes"  maybe Jon and the doc
>> squad will adopt it.
>>
>>  From
>> <http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/
>> appendixb_using.html>
>>
>> B.3.1. Q: How can I move the transactions from account A into account
>> B, thus combining them?
>>
>> <Current answer>
>> A: There is no easy way to do this, you will need to change every
>> transaction reference for account A to account B.  Use the "Find
>> Transactions" feature and search for splits where Account = account A.
>> This will list all of them in a single journal-style register window
>> where you can actually edit the accounts.  Change the transfer account
>> in each from A to B.  As you edit the transactions they will be
>> removed
>> from the register. When the register is empty, account A will be empty
>> and you can remove it.
>> </Current answer>
>>
>> <Proposed Answer>
>> A: At present, Gnucash does not offer a way to move groups of splits
>> from one account to another. You will need to move them one at a time.
>> Open the register for account A and select
>> Menu>View>Style>Transaction_Journal to expose all the splits.  For
>> every split where the "Account" field shows account A reset it to
>> account B. The transactions will disappear from the A register (and
>> reappear instantly in the B register if you happen to have it open.)
>>
>> Be careful!  If you inadvertently reset the "Account" field to some
>> other account, you will need luck to correct your mistake.  For this
>> reason, if you need to move more than a few splits it is safer to open
>> registers for both account A and B and use  Menu>Edit>Cut_Transaction
>> and Menu>Edit>Paste_Transaction.  This will do what you want and
>> because the end points of the move are predetermined there is no
>> danger
>> that transactions will get dropped accidentally into unknowable
>> accounts.

Another way to reduce the risk of misplacing splits while transfering
is to change the "parent account" property for account A to make it a
child of account B.  Because the end points of the move will now appear
very close together in the list of accounts, the process of resetting
the "Account" field of a split will be faster and less error prone.