moving transactions between accounts

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Tue Sep 16 19:49:03 CDT 2003

Kaaren Shalom & Richard Gilligan wrote:
> B.3.1. Q: How can I move the transactions from account A into account
> B, thus combining them?
>
> <Current answer> A: There is no easy way to do this, you will need to
> change every transaction reference for account A to account B.  Use
> the "Find Transactions" feature and search for splits where Account =
> account A.  This will list all of them in a single journal-style
> register window where you can actually edit the accounts.  Change the
> transfer account in each from A to B.  As you edit the transactions
> they will be removed from the register. When the register is empty,
> account A will be empty and you can remove it. </Current answer>

> <Proposed Answer> A: At present, Gnucash does not offer a way to move
> groups of splits from one account to another. You will need to move
> them one at a time. Open the register for account A and select
> Menu>View>Style>Transaction_Journal to expose all the splits.  For
> every split where the "Account" field shows account A reset it to
> account B. To do this quickly and safely, first use <CTRL-c> to COPY
> the destination account name ("account B ") to the clipboard.  Then
> HIGHLIGHT each reference to account A by double clicking on it and
> use <CTRL-v> to PASTE the destination account name.  Pressing <ENTER>
> after each PASTE silently moves the transaction out of the register.
>
> Be careful!  If you inadvertently reset the "Account" field to some
> other account, you will need luck to correct your mistake. </Proposed
> Answer>

Looks fine to me.  I've added this text to my local copy of the FAQ.
I'll wait a few days before committing, just to see if anyone has any
further comments.

Derek, you were the person that came up with the original answer, do you
have any problem with this new version?

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil