save bug

Tony Bloomfield tonyb.lx at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 17 11:39:13 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 18:49, Sebastien Millet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need help with a strange bug in GnuCash 1.8.5 when the file is saved
> (bug is also present in 1.8.4).
> I haven't upgraded to 1.8.7 yet (7mb download with a 56kbps modem, what
> about releasing patches ?), but i saw nothing refering to this bug
> in the changelogs.
>
> Sometimes, when i save the file (via the "Save" icon of the main
> window), the created file is truncated at 80KB (81920 bytes, no more, no
> less), and since the file normally has a size of about 100KB, i lose
> every operation made since January 2003, quite frustrating.
> GnuCash don't display any error message when it happens.

I had the same problem a number of times on 1.8.2, truncating at 80Kb, but
only when I exited 'uncleanly', by checking the X box in the title bar and
replying Yes to the save question. I did two things and haven't had the
problem since:

1. I always click the Save icon and wait for the save to finish (mouse cursor
changes) before clicking the Exit icon.
2. I run gnucash from a shell script with commands before and after (so could
affect timing?).

The commands are there to decrypt/encrypt the file (using mcrypt); if anyone
wants a copy of the script, let me know.

Cheers,
TonyB