save bug

Kaaren Shalom & Richard Gilligan cosmodog at comcast.net
Sun Sep 21 14:09:15 CDT 2003

I was trying to understand (by observing its_behavior_) the gnucash
model for user input that has not yet been "recorded" by an explicit
"enter" command.  The rest of this post describes a situation where a
complete transaction seems to be silently discarded (even after
responding yes to a "record" dialogue.)  Does this reveal an
implemention bug?  A conceptual flaw?  Something else?

It might not be a frequently asked question but it seems worth asking;
what is the gnucash model for "unrecorded" user input? Does that model
allow the  behavior observed below?

I used this simple account tree but I get the same outcome with a more
complicated tree.

Asset1
Asset2
Expense

1)
In register for Asset1 create a transaction:
_________debit_____credit
Asset1____________5.00
Expense__5.00

Do not hit enter.  Instead click or tab to the transaction "date"
field. This will allow the transaction data to remain "unrecorded" and
still propagate to the register you will open in step two.

2)
Open register for Expense. Change credit account from Asset1 to Asset2.
Close Expense register with [Close] button. Say yes to "record changes"
dialogue.

3)
Close Asset1 register with [Close] button.

Outcome: All accounts have zero balence

Cheers,

Richard