Getting stock price updates.

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Mon Sep 29 09:44:09 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 08:27, Sergio Dominguez wrote:
> First of all, thanks very much for your answer.
>
> > If you have any accounts denominated in a currency that is not the
> > default currency for gnucash, then gnucash will pull price quotes for
> > those currencies.   You do not need to set this up.   However, Gnucash
> > only pulls quotes when you run it with the --add-price-quotes option or
> > click the "Get Quotes" button in the price editor.
>
> I had tried that but it tells me
>
> ¨There was an error while retrieving the price quotas¨

What happens if you try the command:

	echo '(yahoo "CSCO")' | finance-quote-helper

You may have to find the finance-quote-helper program.  Its installed
with gnucash.  Your output should look like this:

	(("CSCO" (symbol . "CSCO")
	 (gnc:time-no-zone . "2003-09-29 11:26:00")
	 (last . 20.20)
	 (currency . "USD")))

I've wrapped the output for this email. It should be one long line.

> And then if it does... how often does it? Every time you make a transaction
> between accounts in different currencies or can you set it up to see it everyday.

Gnucash only pulls stock quotes on demand.  You can add an entry to your
crontab to do automatic updating, but you'll have to schedule it for a
time when you're not using gnucash since the data file doesn't support
multiple access.

> Is there anyway to make a report which shows the variation of the price
> of one currency vs. the other in time?

No.

David