Accounting Question

Bobby Goins goins at iglou.com
Mon Sep 29 19:29:56 CDT 2003

This is an update to my post below.

Going back to MS Money to see what is going on with the 401(k) entries,
I found that Money's 401(k) wizard will "add shares" instead of buying
shares.  I think that the reason that this was done this way is because
statements from 401(k) managers often do not show the purchase price of
the shares.  The statement only shows the old quantity, the new quantity
and the fund's value at the time the report was created.

We don't know the purchase price of the fund!!!!

As for the monies in the cash account, the report will show that the
cash account is lessened, but does not let us know how the monies were
dispersed. In other words, the money leaves the cash account without a
category to go to.  We know that the money is used to buy funds, but in
MS Money the funds go into 'never-never land'.

Without a payee or a category/account, gnucash places this lessening of
the cash account to 'retained earnings'.  And this is part of the reason
why my equity:retained earnings account is so large.

***

How would the readers of this list handle these 'homeless' cash
disbursements in gnucash???

***

Now to figure out the re-finance issue.....