Dating US Tax Payments

Allen Ziegenfus listmail at allenz.net
Sun Apr 4 19:08:57 EDT 2004

Hello everyone.

I was curious how people handle their tax payments within GnuCash with
regard to dates. Last year I ended up creating different tax year
accounts (2002 Taxes, 2003 Taxes) so that 2002 tax payments made in
January / April 2003 would be categorized as 2002 payments even though
they  have a 2003 date. However, now it seems a little silly to me to
continually create these separate tax accounts ad infinitum. Is the
recommended method to have just one tax account and fudge the dates so
that 2003 payments made in 2004 will have a 2003 date (e.g., 12/31/03)?
When I searched the GnuCash site I found some document that described
that this is what the TXF report does. I'd like to have the reports
show, within a single year, all the income and the  taxes paid on that
income for that year.

Sorry if this is a FAQ. I couldn't find much about it on the GnuCash
site.

Allen Ziegenfus