installing on OSX

Tristan Chase ubu69 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 5 02:39:41 EDT 2004

Dear Victor,

Which version of OS X do you have?

If you have 10.2.x you need GnuCash 1.8.7. If you have 10.3 you can use
GnuCash 1.8.8. I have complied and installed 1.8.7 on my machine. It
took me a week of tinkering (mostly because I didn't know what I was
doing) to get it to compile.

Here's how to save a huge amount of time: Once you get Fink Commander
up and running, tell it to install gnucash. When it gives you a list of
packages it needs, copy that list and quit the installation. Then,
using that list, search Fink Commander for binary versions of as many
packages as you can get and install them. The problem I had was I tried
to compile all the packages (117 of them!) I needed. Also, in the
beginning you will be asked to choose some packages that satisfy
virtual dependencies. This got me into trouble because it replaced my
version of ghostscript, upon which my printer depends. As I recall, I
had some trouble with TeTex dependencies, as well.

After you install the binaries, install (compile) the remaining
packages. Finally, install gnucash. I have a theory that if you do it
this way, you will spend a lot less time getting it all to work. It's
just a theory...

Good Luck,

Tristan