trouble getting check register

Alan H. Lake alan.lake at lakeinfoworks.com
Wed Apr 7 12:44:58 EDT 2004

I think that I'm not expressing the problem I have very well and am
assuming that something I came up with was correct, when apparently it
isn't.

I had stated only part of the problem, thinking that I could extend the
solution to the other part.  I'm going to back off and try to state my
problem without reference to what I think might be the solution.

The basic problem is in comparing the bank's statement with my gnuCash
records.  Last year the church's books were manual, so I'm pretty
certain that the beginning balance is wrong.  I need to try to compute
what the beginning balance should be.

When contributions are made, each contributor may specify the asset
subaccounts he wants his contribution put in.  At year end, I'm going to
need to prepare a statement for each contributor for tax purposes, so
individual contributions need to be tracked, then put into the proper
subaccount.  However, they also need to be summarized to provide a
deposit amount that I can compare with the bank's statement.

On the debit side of the bank's statement, I need to click off which
transactions have cleared in gnuCash.  Without some sort of report, I
have difficulty knowing which subaccount a given check was written
against.

Only after telling gnuCash which transactions have cleared the bank am I
able to use the Reconcile facility, AFAIK.  Am I barking up the right
tree?