gnuCash And OS X

Tristan Chase ubu69 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 8 09:02:21 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, Apr 7, 2004, at 14:08 America/New_York, Michel Erard
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've seen, that you have a lot of experience with gnucash on OS X.
> I'm using 10.3 and have installet gnucash with the help of fink. Now
> when i try to start gnucash I've the following error on console:
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>
> Do you know, what's going wrong?
>
> thanks Mike

Dear Mike,

You cannot run GnuCash from Terminal.app. You need to use X11. If you
need to download it, get it here:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/xfree86.html

I read somewhere why things like GnuCash and Gimp don't work in
Terminal, but I don't remember where or why. It has something to do
with the internal workings of OS X. Anyway, it works just fine in X11.

Hope this helps.

-Tristan