Question about printing invoices

Des Dougan des at DouganConsulting.com
Fri Apr 16 22:21:19 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 08:00, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> writes:
>
> > Just a totally random thought:
>
> Not completely random. I had this thought myself a couple years ago.
>
> > Does it make sense for GnuCash to output something like LaTeX source for
> > things like invoices?  It is possible to (using various packages) to get
> > LaTeX to do things like what Mr. Pettigrew wants to do.  By delegating
> > this sort of task to LaTeX (or some other document formatting system),
> > many of this issues that GnuCash presently has with these tasks can be
> > handled.  This includes various sorts of customized formatting and so
> > on.
>
> It's not a BAD idea, but it's not an EASY idea.  Submit the code and
> I'll gladly commit it for you.
>
> > *I* use LaTeX to create invoices and packing slips (although not by way
> > of GnuCash).  (I use paper with a built-in peel out mailing label --
> > visit ftp://ftp.deepsoft.com/pub/deepwoods/Other/Invoice0.1.tar.gz to
> > get a copy.)
>
> I used LaTeX for my invoices, too, using invoice.sty and envlab.sty and
> the fancy headers to create my "letterhead".

I currently use OpenOffice.org for this (I have a template with my logo
and address etc. in place), using Evolution's address book as a data
source. Exporting the invoice fields from GnuCash to a CSV with field
headings would enable OOo to be set up to use Calc as the data source.
That would provide a very flexible solution for those of us who are
LaTex challenged :)

Des

--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-980-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

	www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support