Bill amount <> check amount

Phil sublime78ska at comcast.net
Sun Apr 18 20:10:00 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 12:46, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Phil <sublime78ska at comcast.net> writes:
>
> >> If so, that's why you're getting the reminder.  If
> >> not, then I'm not sure what's going on.
> >>
> >> Also, when you paid the next month, did you tell gnucash that you paid
> >> $X + $0.11?  Or did you just tell GnuCash that you paid $X?
>
> You didn't answer this question.
>
> How did you record the second bill?  Did you record it as $X?  or $X+0.11?

The second bill was recorded as X.  At the time, I didn't know the
reason for the 11 cents.  And then I paid the second bill.

> >> No.  Now you probably have an extra $0.11 sitting around in your A/P
> >> account.  This will get "applied" to your next bill, but then you'll
> >> be out of balance.
> >>

> > ok.
>
> Before you go off and do this, it very much depends on how you
> recorded it.  Did you record the $0.11 twice?  Or not..  How you
> correct that very much depends on how you recorded it in the first
> place.

Yes, the 11 cents is billed twice.  Once because the actual check was 11
cents less than it should have been, and second time because the utility
carried the balance forward onto the next bill.

The better way to handle this, then, is to NOT do it the way I suggested
but to enter the next bill as .11 less.  Right?

Thanks for your feedback!

Phil