Process vendor payments and negative values

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun Apr 25 15:09:08 EDT 2004

Derek Atkins wrote:

>>As a result, my payable aging looks like this:
>>
>>30 days: R80.30
>>60 days: R0.00
>>90 days: R0.0
>>120 days+: R-80.30
>

> Wait, how did you get it into this state?  When you posted the R80.30
> 30 days ago it should have balanced into the R-80.30 -- unless you
> adjusted the payment AFTER you posted the invoice.

The only thing that I can think of was that the invoices and payments
were not raised in date order, sometimes two payments were processed,
the newest first. Also, a credit was passed on the particular bill, and
the payments didn't take into account the credit until a month or two later.

>>And when I start up gnucash, I get a popup saying bills are due, when
>>they are not.

> Well, they are, technically, according to the above output.

Technically yes, but practically they are incorrect, as they are causing
an incorrect payable aging report.

>>Is there same way of clearing off this old negative amount? I'd rather
>>not delete all the payments and then reraise them, as the accounts
>>have been reconciled.

> Unpost and repost the 80.30 from 30 days ago to get it to see the
> adjusted -80.30 from 120 days ago...

There is no 80.30 amount. The payments, which came off by debit order,
did not match the invoices. This was then fixed down the line through an
under debit on the debit order, but Gnucash hasn't seemed to like it.

It looks like it is ignoring the negative amount 120 days ago,
overallocating the current payment to the most recent payment in 30
days, so the 120 days old negative amount sticks around while the
allocation is applied to the latest invoice.

Does Gnucash take negative amounts into consideration when allocating
payments to accounts payable?

Regards,
Graham