temporary allocation of money

fideli faisalmoledina at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 19:21:44 EDT 2004

say i had $1000 in my savings account and from that cash, and i would like
to make a note of the fact that i need $750 of that for a certain purpose
in the future.  so what i've done is i've created a sub-account under my
savings account (even though it doesn't really exist at the bank) in
gnucash and stashed the $750 there.  it makes me wonder now what happens to
the sub-account once i'm done with it.  from what i can tell, it'll just
sit there with ageing transactions in it, until i choose to close the book.
is this proper procedure?  i'm not quite an accountant, so forgive me if
this is a trivial theory question.  thanks in advance!

-\ fideli /-