Tips and GST (tax in Alberta, Canada)

Frances gnucash at zedemail.ca
Wed Apr 28 15:47:08 EDT 2004

In our country tips are not taxed.  Would you please explain how to
change the tax so that it is not 7 percent of the unit price.

Example:

Bill from restaurant:

Total before tax: 10.00
Tip     2.00
Tax      .07

Therefore the unit price is 12.00 and the GST (tax) is no longer 7%.

For this method the unit price would be 12.00 and the GST automatically
charges 7 Percent.  I have tried changing the tax table but it does not
calculate properly.  Ideally, I would like to just enter the amount of
tax for the bill without using a percentage.  Please advise.

Thanks.
Frances