way to download account statements from bank, easily?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 2 17:10:42 EDT 2004

jdebert <jdebert at garlic.com> writes:

> THis appears to be what is being sought:
>
>      http://www.jongsma.org/gc/
>
> has OFX scripts and other related stuff.

That looks like what I meant.

> There is an OFX library that seems to once have been developed to be
> part of gnucash at:
>
>      http://libofx.sourceforge.net/

This is still under development...  And it IS what Gnucash uses.

> Not all US banks support OFX direct access. According to one writer at
> least a year ago, very few banks, if any, would divulge the
> information required to use OFX direct access. It seems that one would
> have to use quicken for an OFX session and snoop on the exchange using
> a snooping tool like ethereal to find out how.

True, but not all US Banks have websites, either.  The script mentioned
above uses the same database that MS Money uses, so it does cover most
of the available bank information.

> wget does not seem to work with some banks: the pages returned after
> login do not contain the proper links to get to the OFX data.

Not surprising.

> It would be nice to have a way of getting stuff non-interactively. But
> banks, like the vast majority of other entities on the net, seem
> obsessed with forcing interactive use at every half-step along the
> way, like windows. I liked the net a lot better when it was not so
> bloody interactive.

Did you try the python script?

Hehe.