? Reply to a message in a digest

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Aug 3 15:37:43 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 15:19, Robert E. Harvey, M.D. wrote:
> How do I reply to a note  (so as to keep the thread going)  when I
> receive my list-serves as a digest?

I don't see how this is the appropriate forum, but I don't have a better
one to point you to...

It's going to depend on your email program.

Ideally, you would set the "In-Reply-To:" header on your outgoing
message to be the message id of the message you're replying to, which is
-- I believe -- how most mailers construct threaded-views.

A good second-order approximation is to just set the subject line
reasonably and just let the humans sort it out.

Older-school mailers had a 'undigestify' or 'explode' functionality.
You might be able to find a stand-alone tool to do this, or to mimick it
somehow ... one quick-and-dirty method would be some form of a
digest->mbox program, which would simulate having been delivered all the
individual messages...

...jsled