`Balance' dialog box.. what is it for.

Bryan Phinney bphinney_list at kislinux.org
Thu Aug 5 09:56:33 EDT 2004

On Thursday 05 August 2004 08:28 am, Matt Cahill wrote:
> On August 5, 2004 07:37 am, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> > Dumbing down the
> > program in order to fill a void that is supremely filled with various
> > spreadsheets, electronic checkbook registers, and glorified pocket
> > calculators is very unnecessary.
>
>   Changing gnucash to allow this may be unnecessary in your eyes, but the
> *needs* of users is not.  I think too many people are getting caught up in
> defensive positions here; let's not criticise people who want something
> different by acting as if they're trying to dismantle the application.

I didn't think that I was.  I was stating for the record that there are myriad
numbers of simple accounting packages available for those that don't have
complex needs.  I would imagine that you would get the same response if you
walked into a Ferrari dealership and asked them to drop a large diesel
engine, big knobby tires and put a plow on it so you can use it to plow your
farm's fields.

There are other options available that don't require ripping out such large
sections of the guts of the application.

>   If they should be using another app, that's one thing.  But don't get
> upset just because they want to use gnucash for something less glorious
> than it's intended purpose.

Gee, I thought that was exactly what I was suggesting.  If he would like a
list of possible applications, I would be happy to post one.

--
Bryan Phinney