`Balance' dialog box.. what is it for.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 5 13:51:29 EDT 2004

Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> writes:

> I guess I don't see how it is any different with the current default.
>
> Currently it defaults to `unbalanced ...'  Requiring human
> intervention anyway.  If it defaulted to expenses or assets it takes
> the same effort for someone wanting to aim at one of several hundred
> accounts as `unbalanced..' does.  At least until learnt.

Well, the problem here is the OFX importer allowing you to import
imbalanced transactions in the first place.  The QIF importer wont
allow it and will create new expense accounts (one per payee)
automatically to balance your transactions.  Arguably this is a bug in
the OFX importer which does not do that.