Handling stock in Gnucash

Dave Reed drlinux at columbus.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 13:19:19 EDT 2004

I had never read those docs before but just skimmed through
them. Everything makes sense and matches what I do except for one
thin. I don't understand why an expense account is created for
commissions. I always just included them in the transaction price so I
can accurately calculate capital gains (the buy commission adds to
your basis). With a separate expense account you can't just print a
report and know what your gains/losses are.

Also, to answer one of spamproof's question, I don't think there is a
way to calculate the total return including dividends. My portfolio
isn't that big so I do it separately from gnucash. I just created a
couple text files that has purchase price/date, dividend amount/date
for my stocks. I then wrote a couple Python scripts to calculate the
total return and average annual return based on the current price.

If gnucash can do this, I would appreciate a pointer to the
appropriate documentation.

Thanks,
Dave