QFX import problems

Milind Kamble mbkads at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 16:42:02 EDT 2004

--- Benoit Grégoire <bock at step.polymtl.ca> wrote:

> On Thursday 05 August 2004 12:49 pm, Milind Kamble
> wrote:
> > I am using the latest version of Gnucash from
> Debian
> > unstable.
> > Version: 1.8.9-2
> >
> > I downloaded a QFX transaction file for my Visa
> credit
> > card. When I do File->Import->Import OFX/QFX, the
> > "Generic import transaction matcher" dialog box
> shows
> > up. The problem is that it the Account column
> (column
> > #2 from left) is set to my American Express
> account.
> > There doesn't seem to be a way to choose which
> account
> > the transactions should be posted to when the
> import
> > is performed.
>
> That means that the first time you imported
> transactions from your VISA
> account, you picked the wrong gnucash account to
> associate to your VISA
> account.  That match isn't supposed to change, so
> there is no GUI to clear
> it.  There are two ways to clear it, but both
> involve editing files.
>
> The first is to simulate an account number change.
> But hand editing a backup
> copy of  your OFX file, set your VISA account number
> to garbage, associate
> that to your AA account, click ok and then cancel
> the import.  The next time
> you import your real file, you should see a dialog
> asking you to associate
> your VISA account number to a gnucash account.
> chose the right one and all
> should be well.
>
> The second, and actually less painfull way is to
> hand edit your gnucash file.
> Search for the string:
> <slot:key>online_id</slot:key>, which will allow you
>
> to find a bunch of:
>
> <slot>
>       <slot:key>online_id</slot:key>
>       <slot:value type="string">WHATEVER NUMBER OR
> LETTER YOU ACCOUNT ID
> CONTAINS</slot:value>
> </slot>
>
> Find the one(s) that contains something that looks
> like your American Express
> card number, and remove it.
>
> As always, backups are your friend.

Thanks Benoit. I'll try to fixup my files as you
suggested.

> > Second problem, if I go ahead and hit the Cancel
> > button, the transactions still get posted into the
> > account indicated in the Account column.
>
> That should definitely NOT happen, I have no clue
> what went wrong.

I am sorry. That was a false alarm.
The buttons work correctly.
The reason I was thrown off was because when the
"Generic import transaction matcher" window shows up,
the account balance is updated too even before I
commit, and when I hit cancel, I was seeing the
balances change back (updated as each transaction was
discarded). I mistakenly thought that the balance was
getting updated because of a commit. My apologies.