gnucash keeps dying

Robert E. Harvey, M.D. rharvey at cox-internet.com
Thu Aug 5 11:05:44 EDT 2004

OK,  that worked!

1.  I get these messages when starting gnucash f om the command line:

user at dragonfly user $ /usr/bin/gconfd-1 &
[1] 10162
user at dragonfly user $ gnucash

** CRITICAL **: file gnc-transaction-xml-v2.c: line 443 (set_tran_date):
assertion `tm' failed.

What gives with the "**CRITICAL..." message?

2.  If I try to run gnucash from the menu (after the install on my
Gentoo system) gnucash dies if I try to  use any report or help tool.
So I guess I'll have to write a little shell script like this:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/gconfd-1
gnucash

and attach it to the the menu.  (seems a little tedious).  After a
little web search on gconfd,  it appears to be a work in progress as an
app that can be used with or without Gnome, but must be used with gtk.
That fact underscores the point (to me, anyway) that Gnucash is pretty
much on the cutting edge of programming technology (I remember, when as
a Red Hat user, I had tons of trouble trying to get Gnucash properly
compiled from source with all those elusive dependencies)

Thanks for your help.