Equity:Opening Balances question

Max Gravitt maxgravitt at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 9 18:37:49 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am a new user of GnuCash, and I have a question regarding create new
accounts and the Equity:Opening Balances.  I created a few new Brokerage
Accounts under Investments and put in the first transaction as the
opening balance as a transfer from "Equity:Opening Balances".  And of
course, it shows up under the Equity:Opening Balances.

I understand the basics of the Double Entry account system, but why is
it useful to see all of my opening balances aggregated or even listed in
one place or even listed at all?  I understand that if I were to create
a new account after already using GnuCash, I would transfer from some
account to the new one.  But setting it up the first time, it seems
awkward to have the Opening Balances account, and I'm having trouble
getting GnuCash to reflect the current state of all my accounts.

Also, the toolbar that says Net Assets is reporting it as a value that I
don't understand.  It is considerably less than the sum of just my
investment accounts, not including checking.

Can anyone shed some light these newbie issues?

Overall, I am very impressed with the application and looking forward to
learning how to use it effectively.

thanks,
Max