Love Gnucash -- A few questions though . .

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Thu Aug 19 11:22:07 EDT 2004

I tried gnucash a long time ago, and was very disappointed.  I think it
was a combination of gnucash's infancy, and my mis-understanding of the
accounting principles.  (Quicken keeps us ignorant)

At that time, I compared Moneydance and Kapital, and bought a copy of
Kapital.  Since then, I've stopped using Kapital, and have just been
flying blind, using my bank's crappy online banking system.

But now, with the tutorial, I was able to set up gnucash properly, and
I'm very happy with it.  I'm espically happy with how well it reconciles
downloaded QFX / OFX files.

So, now I have some questions:

1)  Has anyone else used Kapital or Moneydance?  I only used Kapital for
    a week or two, a couple of years ago, and the time was obviously not
    very memorable.

2)  I read through the archives a bit, and I would also like to automate
    the download of my QFX/OFX files.  But, there is an embedded login
    screen.  What should I use?  I've heard good things about curl, but
    that seems more of a tool than a language.  I guess perl, my old
    standby, would be best?  I'd need to login, maintain cookies, and
    navagate through a few pages, setting proper form variables.

3)  Does SQL work with packaged gnucash?  I use Suse 9.0, and just used
    the built in gnucash . . . will it let me transfer my info to sql,
    and, if so, can I use mysql instead of progressql?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

--
David Frascone

        Some things have got to be believed to be seen.